Yesterday was bad, even for a Monday. Not due to overindulging in beverages at a Super Bowl party (though I ate my weight in buffalo chicken and spinach/artichoke dip...), but it was one of "those days" where the rut you're trying to escape is 12 feet deep and made of smooth marble.
If one more person asks when I was going to settle down, I will scream. No face, no name, but “they” say he’s out there. No number to call, yet I’m still suppose to believe. Not address to write, no dreamy kiss goodnight, yet I’m still suppose to believe there's someone for me? Speaking of addresses, Santa Claus has one. If I’m not suppose to believe in him, then why should I believe this “unlisted” Prince Charming exists? Speaking of Prince Charming, you know how they say if a teenage boy talks about sex, it means he isn't having it? Don’t you think Prince Charming is the same? If you have to tell us he’s charming, is he really a crass deadbeat?
I digress. While in the midst of my pathetic pity party, seven things happened.
- My favorite Bostonian couple announced they were prego... so excited for them! Alissa & Adnan - you'll be incredible parents!
- My favorite Orange County couple gave birth to a darling baby girl! Congrats, Tatum & Sam!
- A dear childhood friend went into labor and lost her first born. Amanda - you and Joe are in my thoughts, prayers and heart.
- One of my best friends learned her parents are parting. You know who you are... get ready for a spa/wine day... love ya and here if you need to chat.
- My bff (loved as a sister, even if we don't exactly look alike!) finally realized she is a commodity and shouldn't settle for less than the best.
- A fantastic colleague is prepping to undergo spinal surgery... thoughts are with ya, buddy!
- A client lost his two year battle with cancer... his family and colleagues are in my prayers.
In short, so many people near and dear to me are fighting their own battles, celebrating their own milestones and taking the next step on that twisty path we call life. How dare I think, even for a moment, that my pudgy singlehood trumps such life-changing events?
Last night, I looked again in the dreaded mirror. Was there a sun? Nope... just a girl with lines saying she's celebrated and laughed with the greatest of friends, a couple under-eye circles to reflect her hard work and a smile as she prepares to conquer the first day of the rest of her life.
As my dear friend Mel once told me, "the grass is greener where you water it." Break out the watering cans, people! On that note, have a great day!